- University of Alberta, 1974 - Bachelor of Commerce Degree.
- Majors: Economics & Marketing
- AACI, Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute, 1981
- Professional Development Seminars include:
- Farm Management Course, Olds College
- Soils Analysis & Agricultural Appraisal Course, Olds College
- Real Estate Taxation
- Investment Analysis, U of A
- Land Use Planning, U of A
- Investment Analysis, Appraisal Institute of Canada
- Analysis of Partial Takings, International Right-Of-Way Association
- Market Analysis, Urban Land Institute
- Environmental Assessments, Environmental Assessment Assoc.
- Land Development, U of A
Expert Witness Experience:
- Alberta Land Compensation Board
- Alberta Surface Rights Board
- Alberta Energy & Utilities Board
- Alberta Court of Queens Bench
- British Columbia Supreme Court
- Alberta Assessment Appeal Board/Municipal Government Board
- Various Arbitration Boards/Panels
Brian Gettel has over 30 years of professional real estate appraisal and consulting experience. Brian has appraised a variety of different property types including commercial properties (office buildings, shopping centres, general retail buildings), industrial properties, multi-family and institutional properties (schools, hospitals) for mortgage financing, fore¬closure, sale/acquisition, litigation, taxation, etc. He has also assessed compensation under the Expropriation Act and Surface Rights Act for a wide variety of urban and rural property types for the purposes of road/highway development/widening, rail line development, developing drainage canals, power lines, pipelines, sewage lagoons, land fill sites, etc. He has completed studies on highway/rail line proximity damages, devaluation studies relating to the impact of power lines, pipelines, sewage lagoons, land fill sites, etc. and has conducted feasibility/market analysis on urban development land, multi-family, com¬mercial and industrial projects. He has extensive experience appraising environmentally contaminated properties for compensation - devaluation and sale - purchase purposes.